Courtney Scobie's practice focuses on complex commercial litigation in state and federal courts and federal government investigations. Her experience includes copyright infringement and trade secret misappropriation cases against a leading enterprise software company, an SEC investigation and a securities class action involving alleged accounting improprieties, several CFTC investigations involving the crude oil and natural gas liquids markets, contract and insurance disputes in the energy and petrochemical industries, product liability and toxic tort litigation, and Fair Credit Reporting Act disputes. She has drafted several successful motions to dismiss and motions for summary judgment and has significant experience in e-discovery matters.
Courtney has worked on litigation matters and government investigations involving a wide variety of industries, including matters for Bayer, BP America, Chevron, Dell, Dole Food Company, Experian, SAP, Standard Insurance, Stewart & Stevenson, and Textron. She also has worked on several pro bono matters with the Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program and the Houston Bar Association, including work with victims of Hurricane Katrina and assisting pro bono clients in family court. Additionally, Courtney participated in the Houston Volunteer Prosecutors Program where she has tried over a dozen cases in Houston's municipal court.
- Represented expert witness in effort to address and overturn federal district court findings regarding expert’s causation testimony in securities arbitration, resulting in Fifth Circuit appellate opinion completely vacating adverse findings.
- Researched and drafted successful motion to dismiss on behalf of a major software company and one of its subsidiaries in a misappropriation of trade secrets case in Texas federal court.
- Represented a multinational chemical company in a breach of contract case in Texas federal court.
- Represented a major software company and its subsidiaries in defending a copyright infringement case in California federal court.
- Represented a major energy company in a Department of Justice (“DOJ”) investigation, Commodity Futures Trading Commission (“CFTC”) investigation, CFTC enforcement action, and related class action litigation regarding alleged market manipulation of the propane market.
- Represented a major computer corporation in a Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”) investigation and related class action related to accounting irregularities.
Publications, Speeches and Presentations
- "Houston Appeals Court Overturns Oil and Gas Royalty Verdict," ABA Energy Litigation Website, June 28, 2012
- "Protecting Against an FCPA Violation Through a Third-Party Agent," ABA Energy Litigation Website, June 28, 2012
- Co-Author, "Will Rule 10b-5 Go Global? The Status of Private Rights of Action after Morrison v. National Australia Bank," The Advocate, State Bar Litigation Section Report, Vol. 59, Summer 2012