U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
Ms. Szak represents foreign and domestic clients in business and commercial matters. She has taken cases through all stages of litigation: pre-lawsuit investigation, trial, appeal, and judgment collection. She has designed and implemented strategies for resolving complex commercial problems. By conducting preventive counseling, she has helped her clients achieve favorable resolutions to their business controversies, often without the necessity of filing or defending lawsuits.
- Obtained dismissal of an investor's claims arising from default in payment of commercial paper issued by a foreign corporation.
- Co-counsel in ERISA action alleging that plan fiduciaries breached duties of loyalty and prudence by selecting and maintaining inappropriate funds for company's 401(k) plan.
- Resolved claims that clients committed fraud and civil RICO violations.
- Recovered investment losses sustained by a corporation and its pension fund resulting from a hedge fund's collapse.
- Represented an automotive parts supplier in a lawsuit against a major automobile manufacturer for misrepresentation and breach of contract. Negotiated a business resolution of the parties' dispute.
- Obtained dismissal of claims that the firm's client breached a contract to sell shares of corporate stock.
- Recovered payment of suppliers' claims against companies that had filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy through use of essential vendor and foreign vendor orders.
- Recovered damages owed due to supplier's delivery of substandard raw materials.
- Defended a professional sports figure against a former assistant's claims for breach of contract and harassment.
- Obtained dismissal for want of personal jurisdiction in several actions brought against non-resident companies.
- Advised foreign corporations on obligations under United States antitrust law arising from transactions with United States businesses.
- Advised domestic and foreign companies on compliance with anti-corruption laws.
- Advised foreign financial services firms on compliance with United States laws and regulations on asset control and anti-money laundering.
- Prepared contracts, settled contract disputes and resolved sales issues arising under the Uniform Commercial Code and the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods.
- Represented creditors in bankruptcy proceedings.
- Resolved claims involving allegations of environmental contamination, property devaluation and toxic releases.
- Represented clients before state and federal regulatory agencies.
Publications, Speeches and Presentations
- Author, "Preparing for Securities Litigation," State Bar of Texas Advanced Business Law, November 2013
- Presenter, “The Attorney-Client Privilege for In House Attorneys,” Association of Corporate Counsel’s National Litigation Committee Meeting, 2012
- Author, "Will Rule 10b-5 Go Global? The Status of Private Rights of Action after Morrison v. National Australia Bank," The Advocate, State Bar Litigation Section Report, Vol. 59, Summer 2012
- Author, "What Employers Need to Know About the Dodd-Frank Act," University of Texas School of Law Labor and Employment Law Conference, 2011
- Author, "Asserting the Fifth Amendment in Civil Proceedings," ABA's Energy Litigation Newsletter, 2010
- Author, "Minimizing Liability in Fleet Operations," Fleet Financials, 2010
- ChevronTexaco, Senior Counsel (1989-2002)
- Ross, Banks, May, Cron & Cavin, PC (1985-1989)
- Intern - Department of Justice, Antitrust Division
Memberships and Community
- State Bar of Texas
- American Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Turnaround Management Association
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rating – An AV certification is a testament to the fact that a lawyer’s peers rank the individual to be at the highest level of professional excellence.