Pennzoil Place—South Tower
711 Louisiana, Suite 2150
Houston, TX 77002
Andrea Whitley is an accomplished litigator with more than 17 years of experience. After serving in private practice at an elite trial boutique, Andrea later transitioned in-house, holding the role of Managing Litigation Counsel at a multinational energy company. Her expertise covers a wide range of legal areas, including complex commercial litigation, oil and gas disputes, investigations, trade secrets, international oil and gas matters, legal malpractice, pipeline failures, toxic exposure cases, and personal injury claims. Andrea’s ability to handle such diverse legal challenges is a testament to her adaptability and proficiency in the field.
Andrea’s professional journey underscores her commitment to delivering favorable results for her clients and her dedication to the pursuit of justice. Her reputation in the legal world continues to grow, reflecting her unwavering pursuit of excellence. Andrea is focused on leveraging her extensive experience to tackle complex legal issues and provide effective solutions for her clients.
- The University of Texas School of Law, J.D., with honors, 2003
- Notes Editor, Texas Review of Litigation
- University of Montana, B.A., with high honors, Political Science
- University of Montana, B.A., with high honors, French, 2000
- Texas, 2003
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Eastern, Northern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas
- Served as first-chair trial lawyer for an international engineering firm sued for negligence arising out of a crude oil refinery fire that caused significant burns to the plaintiff. Favorably resolved matter post-verdict.
- Served as second-chair trial lawyer for an electric cooperative that asserted claims against the manufacturer of a defective steam turbine installed at a plant in South Texas. Handled all aspects of the case through initial investigation, discovery, and trial. Took depositions, hired and prepared expert witnesses, and tried the case to a jury in a Southern District of Texas federal court. Participated in post-judgment motions and subsequent appeal to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. Obtained a jury verdict and sustained the verdict on appeal.
- Member of legal team in an international arbitration involving an offshore oil rig. Case involved unusual legal issues regarding the proper composition of the arbitration panel. Matter ultimately proceeded to a final arbitration award following a full hearing.
- Served as second- and third- chair trial lawyer in two separate cases defending an international electronics company against product liability claims that were alleged as the cause of residential fires. Obtained defense verdicts in both cases.
- Served as third-chair trial lawyer defending an international chemicals company against trade secret misappropriation claims. Communicated about case strategy with two separate in-house attorneys, helped coordinate electronic discovery across the U.S., Western Europe, and China, prepared European fact witnesses for deposition and testimony at injunction hearing, defended depositions locally and internationally, and worked with expert witnesses to prepare reports and deposition testimony. Prepared witnesses for and participated in a seven-day temporary injunction hearing in Galveston County Court at Law. Matter was resolved favorably following mediation.
- Member of trial team for a legal malpractice action that involved antitrust matters. Responsibilities included developing the substantive antitrust portion of the case; hiring and preparing all antitrust experts for disclosures, deposition and trial testimony. Participated in four-week long trial in Harris County District Court.
OTHER ATTORNEY EXPERIENCE
- Managing Counsel–Litigation, Occidental Petroleum Corporation
- Texas Rising Star, Texas Super Lawyers 2013-2016