Courtney D. Scobie
Pennzoil Place—South Tower
711 Louisiana, Suite 2150
Houston, TX 77002
Courtney Scobie’s practice focuses on complex commercial litigation in state and federal courts, arbitration, and federal government investigations. Her experience includes a fraud and theft case on behalf of a large technology company, a breach of fiduciary duty and legal malpractice case on behalf of a real estate investment trust, copyright infringement and trade secret misappropriation cases against a leading enterprise software company, an SEC investigation and a securities class action involving alleged accounting improprieties, several CFTC investigations involving the crude oil and natural gas liquids markets, contract and insurance disputes in the energy and petrochemical industries, product liability and toxic tort litigation, and Fair Credit Reporting Act disputes. She has drafted several successful motions to dismiss and motions for summary judgment and has significant experience in e-discovery matters.
Courtney has worked on litigation and arbitration matters and government investigations involving a wide variety of industries, including the energy, technology, financial services, and healthcare industries. She also has worked on several pro bono matters with the Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program and the Houston Bar Association, including work with victims of Hurricane Katrina and assisting pro bono clients in family court. Additionally, Courtney participated in the Houston Volunteer Prosecutors Program where she has tried over a dozen cases in Houston’s municipal court.
- Georgetown University, J.D., 2004
- University of Texas, B.A., with highest honors, 1999
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Texas, 2004
- All Texas State Courts
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- Won a $12.2 million judgment, including full damages and all attorneys’ fees, on behalf of a multinational computer technology company against its former employees and contractors who conspired to engage in a false-invoice and bid-rigging scheme to defraud the company. Two of the defendants were later sentenced to federal prison for conspiracy on fraud charges.
- Legal counsel to the Super Bowl LI Houston Host Committee providing a wide range of legal services for this multi-billion dollar event, including preventive litigation counseling, risk management, contract negotiation and liability prevention advice for the tens of thousands of workers and volunteers involved in events leading up to and including the big game.
- Won the dismissal of a complaint filed in New Jersey by Prime Healthcare, Inc. against our client who operates hospitals in New Jersey. The complaint asserted antitrust and common law claims and alleged that our client had conspired with others to prevent Prime from competing in New Jersey. Damages were potentially in the tens or hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Represented expert witness an effort to address and overturn federal district court findings regarding expert’s causation testimony in securities arbitration, resulting in Fifth Circuit appellate opinion completely vacating adverse findings.
- Researched and drafted successful motion to dismiss on behalf of a major software company and one of its subsidiaries in a misappropriation of trade secrets case in Texas federal court.
- Represented a multinational chemical company in a breach of contract case in Texas federal court.
- Represented a major software company and its subsidiaries in defending a copyright infringement case in California federal court.
- Represented a major energy company in a Department of Justice (“DOJ”) investigation, Commodity Futures Trading Commission (“CFTC”) investigation, CFTC enforcement action, and related class action litigation regarding alleged market manipulation of the propane market.
- Represented a major computer corporation in a Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”) investigation and related class action related to accounting irregularities.
PUBLICATIONS, SPEECHES AND PRESENTATIONS
- “TEXAS: An Introduction to Litigation: General Commercial,” Chambers and Partners USA Guide 2023
- “An Interview with Courtney D. Scobie,” Best Lawyers, July 13, 2018
- Co-author, Expert Witnesses, Business and Commercial Litigation in Federal Courts, Fourth Edition
- Co-Author, “Benefits of Preventative Legal Counselling,” BUSINESS RESOURCE: Litigation & Alternative Dispute Resolution 2016
- “The Keystone XL Pipeline Faces a New Challenge,” ABA Energy Litigation Website, October 22, 2013
- “Houston Appeals Court Overturns Oil and Gas Royalty Verdict,” ABA Energy Litigation Website, June 28, 2012
- “Protecting Against an FCPA Violation Through a Third-Party Agent,” ABA Energy Litigation Website, June 28, 2012
- Co-Author, “Will Rule 10b-5 Go Global? The Status of Private Rights of Action after Morrison v. National Australia Bank,” The Advocate, State Bar Litigation Section Report, Vol. 59, Summer 2012
OTHER ATTORNEY EXPERIENCE
- Jones Day
MEMBERSHIPS AND COMMUNITY
- State Bar of Texas
- Houston Bar Association (CLE Committee 2014-2015, AIDS Outreach Committee Chair 2016-2017, President’s Award Recipient 2017-2018)
- Houston Young Lawyers Association, including the Leadership Academy and the Adopt-an-Angel Committee
- Texas Rising Star, Texas Super Lawyers 2014-2017