Ryan van Steenis
Ryan van Steenis’s practice focuses on complex civil litigation involving commercial disputes, securities litigation, investigations, and white-collar matters. Ryan’s professional philosophy is to go above and beyond expectations (the “ABE” standard) for clients. Ryan works hard to provide clients with sound legal advice and superior legal representation in matters affecting a wide variety of their business or personal interests.
Before working as a lawyer, Ryan worked in several professional service jobs to make ends meet, from retail stores to golf courses. Those efforts taught him the value of “service as a product,” and how excellent service often laid the foundation for a friendly relationship. Now, as an experienced commercial litigation attorney, Ryan brings that same approach to clients who need a lawyer’s “service as a product” to provide solutions to their legal needs.
Ryan is also active in the fight against modern human trafficking. Since 2005, he has been involved with various non-profit groups fighting to protect the innocent against human trafficking and modern slavery and currently serves on the Board of Directors for Unlikely Heroes, a California non-profit dedicated to rescuing, rehabilitating, and restoring victims of human trafficking and modern slavery all around the world. For his efforts, Ryan was recently awarded the “Pro Bono Star Award” by the President of the Houston Bar Association in recognition of his outstanding pro bono commitment to child victims of human trafficking and modern slavery.
- Washington University School of Law, J.D., 2007
- Associate Editor, Washington University Journal of Law and Policy, 2006-2007
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.A., cum laude, 2003
- College Honors, College of Arts and Sciences
- Texas, 2013
- California, 2007
- All California State Courts
- All Texas State Courts
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- Legal counsel to the Super Bowl LI Houston Host Committee providing a wide range of legal services for this multi-billion dollar event, including preventive litigation counseling, risk management, contract negotiation and liability prevention advice for the tens of thousands of workers and volunteers involved in events leading up to and including the big game.
- Won a bench trial in United States District Court, Northern District of California on behalf of Unionamerica Insurance Company rescinding an insurance policy for the insureds’ material misrepresentation on its insurance application and defeated a cross-claim against Unionamerica Insurance Company for breach of contract, bad faith, and fiduciary duties.
- Won an appeal in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals upholding District Court’s finding in Unionamerica Insurance Company’s favor.
- Represented a real estate developer against a national bank for breach of a commercial lease, successfully resolving the claims against the bank after a two week jury trial in California state court.
- Represented an insurance brokerage in a partnership dissolution matter involving claims of fraud, breach of contract, and breach of fiduciary duties.
- Successfully represented a regional bank in judicial foreclosure proceedings against borrowers who fraudulently induced a loan, including the appointment of a judicial receiver.
- Researched, drafted, argued, and won a judgment on the pleadings filed in California against a real estate broker for breach of contract and fiduciary duties.
- Defended a California insurance company against a class action lawsuit for purported violations of the California Insurance Code, winning partial summary judgment motion to defeat class certification.
- Represented a jewelry designer in a copyright infringement case against an international diamond company, successfully reaching a satisfactory settlement.
- Represented social media and digital agency companies in numerous contract disputes against former customers.
- Represented a music management company against its clients for breach of music producer contracts.
PUBLICATIONS, SPEECHES AND PRESENTATIONS
- “Change Can Cost You: Corporate Defendants’ Motions to Change Venue,” Los Angeles Daily Journal, October 6, 2011
- “Don’t Get Hosed: Register Your Car Wash to Avoid Steep Fines,” Los Angeles Daily Journal,August 31, 2011
- From Mao to Madison and Back: An Examination of China’s National Property Law and its Diminished Potential, 23 Temple International & Comparative Law Journal 35 (2009)
OTHER ATTORNEY EXPERIENCE
- Selman Breitman, Los Angeles (2008-2010)
- Huron Law Group, Los Angeles (2010-2014)
MEMBERSHIPS AND COMMUNITY
- Houston Bar Association
- Texas Young Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association
- Member, Board of Directors, Pink Door Non-Profit
- Member, Board of Directors, Unlikely Heroes (Legacy Award Honoree, 2018)
- Southern California Rising Star (Southern California Super Lawyers, 2012, 2013, 2014)