Wallace A. Showman
Pennzoil Place—South Tower
711 Louisiana, Suite 2150
Houston, TX 77002
Mr. Showman has handled numerous complex commercial matters and securities class actions (for both plaintiffs and defendants). He has represented both claimants and respondents in FINRA securities arbitrations. He has also represented clients in FINRA investigations and has conducted internal corporate investigations. He has lectured on securities litigation at NYU and Fordham University. Mr. Showman is also an arbitrator for FINRA customer and employee arbitrations.
- New York University School of Law (J.D., 1988)
- Queens College, New York City (B.A., 1985)
- New York, 1989
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Eastern, and Northern Districts of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. Courts of Appeals, Second and Fifth Circuits
- United States Supreme Court
- Represented an oil shale production company in a dispute with an international development partner over a set of contracts to commercialize a technology to extract oil from solid sedimentary rock. Under the contracts, the development partner was responsible for funding a major portion of the project, and it indicated that it did not intend to follow through with certain contractual commitments. Had that happened, this major project would have been brought to a standstill. Our client settled its dispute with the development partner and terminated the contracts in order to successfully continue the project.
- Won dismissal of a bankruptcy petition filed for the improper purpose of avoiding a joint venture contract with our client.
- Won dismissal of an action filed by Prime Healthcare, Inc. against our client who operates hospitals in New Jersey. The complaint asserted antitrust and common law claims and alleged that our client had conspired with other to prevent Prime from competing in new Jersey. Damages were potentially in the tens or hundreds of millions of dollars. The victory required litigation in both New Jersey state court and New Jersey bankruptcy court.
- Conducted an internal investigation at a prominent not-for-profit company, resulting in substantial improvement of the company’s practices and procedures
- Represented a mortgagee bank in a property dispute; won dismissal for the bank and aided materially in achieving a settlement between the principals.
- Won dismissal for our client, a director of the defendant company, of a securities fraud class action, and settled the action on behalf of a second director without liability for the director.
- Worked with Mr. Ajamie in winning a $14.5 million arbitration award against Prudential Equity Group.
- Represented plaintiffs in numerous successful securities class actions.
OTHER ATTORNEY EXPERIENCE
- Bernstein Litowitz Berger & Grossmann LLP (2006-2008)
- Wallace A. Showman LLP, New York City (1999 – 2006)
- Wolf Popper LLP, New York City (1991-95, 1997-98)
- Kirby McInerney & Squire LLP, New York City (1995-96)
- LeBoeuf, Lamb, Greene & MacRae LLP, New York City (1988-91)
MEMBERSHIPS AND COMMUNITY
- American Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- New York State Bar Association
- New York County Lawyers Association
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York