Ajamie’s lawyers combine effective legal strategies with an understanding of our clients’ business objectives. Our business litigation practice addresses the needs of businesses ranging from insurers and manufacturers to technology companies. We manage every stage of the litigation process, from discovery and pre-trial motions to settlement negotiations, trial and appeal. We are also skilled in arbitration, which has become a preferred method of dispute resolution in international as well as some domestic matters.
We are frequently called upon to answer unique and novel transnational legal issues for corporations and individuals. We have also coordinated large-scale litigation involving several law firms and multiple jurisdictions.
Our commercial litigation practice concentrates in the areas of contracts, financial fraud, securities litigation and arbitration, derivative suits and class actions, antitrust, insurance, real estate, bankruptcy and reorganization, and copyrights and trade secrets. We handle issues such as contract disputes, tortious interference with contracts, libel and slander, and corporate disinformation. We offer corporate compliance counseling, handle corporate investigations, and offer white collar defense.
In addition to our complex business litigation practice, our firm has obtained noteworthy results in cases involving financial fraud, cross-border disputes, employment litigation, and estate litigation. Our lawyers have amassed an impressive record of positive outcomes, winning critical victories and achieving multi-million-dollar settlements and arbitration awards.
Representative matters include:
- Settled for $79 million a federal court class action lawsuit against Wells Fargo & Company on behalf of its former financial advisors who were wrongfully forced to forfeit their deferred compensation when they left the company.
- Winning a record $112,119,005 jury verdict — the largest in United States history — after a three-week trial in a case brought under civil RICO against defendants who conspired to extort money from our corporate client and tamper with trial witnesses.
- Winning a $14.5 million arbitration award on behalf of a New York family against Prudential Equity Group. The award was obtained following 84 hearing sessions at the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE). According to The Wall Street Journal, this award was the third largest issued by an arbitration panel at the NYSE.
- Winning a jury verdict of more than $5 million for a manufacturer in a trial involving product defect claims.
- Representing a leading private correctional facility company in a lawsuit filed against a Fortune 50 corporation. The lawsuit sought a multi-million dollar recovery for breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty and fraud.
- Litigating an agreement to affiliate a client’s television stations with the WB Television Network. We secured a favorable settlement, including the sale of the client’s Houston station for $95 million — an “incredibly high” price, according to Variety.
- Successfully representing a pension fund in connection with losses incurred when a hedge fund lost 30% of the funds entrusted to it.
- Winning a dismissal of all claims against a major utility company in connection with the Panhandle interstate gas pipeline system in an antitrust lawsuit alleging conspiracy to monopolize, tying and a group boycott.
- Representing an energy company in a lawsuit for economic loss and physical damage, resulting in a substantial settlement for our client.
- Successfully representing the owner of an oil and gas interest in litigation with a joint operator.
- Obtaining summary judgment for all claims against a transportation company in connection with a multiple fatality accident.
- Successfully defending the second largest funeral services care company against a $4 billion hostile takeover bid by the industry’s largest company. The case involved securities, tort and antitrust claims.
- Completing complex risk assessments and choice of law analysis for the board of directors of a large corporation involving a transaction in excess of $1 billion.
- Conducting risk assessments for corporations in connection with work-related fatalities and alleged premises defects.
- Obtaining a jury verdict in favor of a major car rental company in a lawsuit arising from a landlord/tenant dispute.
- Securing the contested domain name rights for a major Texas law firm.